Saturday, May 14, 2011

two funerals

Just this week I have been to two funerals. This post does not reflect on the lives of those who past away. It is merely a few thoughts on death and forever. What I find is that death and the hereafter is often reduced to a few nuanced statements, "It is more about the life in your years, than the years in your life", "[name] would have not wanted us to cry, they want us to be happy", " they are here with us", "we miss you, but will see you soon." In Ecclesiastes 7:2-4 it says, "Better to spend your time at funerals than at parties. After all, everyone dies--so the living should take this to heart. Sorrow is better than laughter, for sadness has a refining influence on us. A wise person thinks a lot about death, while a fool thinks only about having a good time." Most funerals I go to now encourage us to forget death as soon as possible and to party, because somewhere out there that person is partying right now too. And so we fashion heaven however we would like it to be, forgetting about hell entirely. I think hell is only old fashioned in a culture where obeying your parents is old fashioned. We are more interested in being comforted and abandoning tears for a good laugh. Back in the days when England burned martyrs a small boy was seen walking home from Smithfield in England. Someone asked that little boy, "My boy, why were you there?" To this question the boy replied, "I want to learn the way." This boy was not morbid. At a young age he realized that there was much to be learned from a man willing to die because of a conviction. The man knew what he was dying for. He had watched the man live and realized that the martyr was no fool. His martyrdom was not a glamor stunt, nor was it a means for a greater reward. The martyr accepted the flames because he would not deny Christ. "To live is Christ and to die is gain" is the true christian anthem. This should not just be the composure of a dying Christian, but a living one as well. Paul was prepared. It used to be written on the gravestones of the Puritans momento mori, which translated means "remember your mortality." I went for a run before the funeral today. Near my house is a forest preserve. I ran alone and sifted through the thoughts in my head that seem to come out of hiding once I lace up my running shoes. Over and over I thought of Paul's statement, "I consider all things loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus." If you are reading this I want you to consider, in light of eternity, what exactly life is. What is your life? Do you say that it is your life or is it truly your life? Is this something that is worth living for in light of eternity?

My thoughts surmount these lower skies
And look within the veil;
There springs of endless pleasure rise,
The waters never fail.

There I behold with sweet delight
The blessed Three in One;
And strong affections fix my sight
On God's incarnate Son.

His promise stands for ever firm,
His grace shall ne'er depart;
He binds my name upon his arm,
And seals it on his heart.

Light are the pains that' nature brings,
How short our sorrows are,
When with eternal future things,
The present we compare!

I would not be a stranger still
To that celestial place,
Where I for ever hope to dwell
Near my Redeemer's face. - Isaac Watts

6 comments:

Anatomy Geek said...

The sermon today was so right on. I've been asking God lately to constantly reveal himself to me so that I do not fall prey to what you called "the man-centered gospel" or my own conjured up image of God. Thank you for asking the Lord for guidance in your sermons to the body,and for teaching His truths so well.

Anatomy Geek said...

what was the name of the missionary you mentioned? Eric Ladden? I can't remember but am interested in reading his bio....

Daniel Frederick said...

Eric Liddell. He was/is a hero of mine. He is the hero in the classic movie Chariots of Fire. Let me know if you would like to borrow the biography and I will gladly lend it.

Anatomy Geek said...

Yes! I'd love to borrow it.....no shipping fees that way. ;) I haven't seen the movie but I'll keep my eye out.
Thanks.....

Cindy said...

The words penned by Isaac Watts are beautiful. Oh for the day when we dwell near our Redeemers face.

Anatomy Geek said...

I will look into his hymns! In finding a brief bio on him I see that he was published in the 1700's. How marvelous to know that though his writings are a few centuries old, his topics are timeless! I know it's not that long ago compared to biblical times but it's still remarkable. I look forward to finding more. Does your family have 'Divine Songs for Children'?