Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It’s Not About You - NYTimes.com

It’s Not About You - NYTimes.com

On June 5th I am giving a baccalaureate address to the graduating class of Bremerton High School. The article above helped confirm what I have been thinking about writing, pondering on my pillow the last few nights what advice I would have given to a younger me. I think hope you find this article as helpful as I did. I am aware of the fact that my generation is walking into a river of restlessness. The soul of my generation is lost in itself. When you walk into a river it allows you to boast and feel confident while the water plays at your ankles. Let it rise to your knees and the tables turn. With the slightest push you will fall. We are wading dangerously deep into the ambiguities of pluralism. We allow everything to change us because we have stepped away from firm land. Let us pray with urgency and speak with tender, strong voice. God save us from ourselves!

1 comment:

Anatomy Geek said...

To look beyond ones own hands, own abilities, own desires......to desire something greater. As the author states, this greater desire cannot come without being stripped of ones self. Being self-less may appear to come with great sacrifice, I think this package is what keeps the road so narrow, but it paves the way for communion. We are lost in a sea of pluralism...... often under the guise of "can't we all just get along?" but how challenging when few of us are trained to look beyond our own hands.