Sunday, December 7, 2008

things worth dying for

Tonight I spoke to a group of 12 people that gathered at the coffee shop on the subject of what our church breathes by--what we would give every breath to preach and live in word and deed (ie. our statement of faith). I am thankful that the Lord seemed to offer clarity in the the words spoken. Some of the topics spoken on were the Trinity and sovereignty of God, the authority of the Bible, salvation, and the two options of eternity. Given an hour I covered nearly 30 points, including sub-points and a several minute portion of time to cover a question on the essential nature of a God that could and did perish on a tree. I was happy to speak every word; happy to have such a God to speak about and that He taught me--me!--His song of love that wraps throughout history and beyond our celestial walls. Just think, it was all declared in final detail even before the world began (Ephesians 1:3-6)! May our passion never be only a matter of discussion between ourselves or a matter of question for onlookers. "Better is open rebuke than love that is concealed" (Proverbs 27:5). I don't want my love to be concealed. O to be always open with love to God; then, I known, from us will flow streams, pouring over and multiplied to others. I tire though. The reality is that it all takes effort. Jesus asks us the Gethsemene question: "will you stay awake and pray for an hour?" Your life and mine is only a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes (James 4:14). It was the final point. I am looking forward to the unfettered and forever joys of eternity. O God make my mist one that hangs epicly over battleground-earth.

No comments: