Sunday, February 1, 2009

oh His goodness!

"It takes me a long while to realize that God has no respect for anything I bring Him. All He wants from me is unconditional surrender." -O.C.

What did God see when He called the newborn world good? I can tell you that He saw no bickering or gloom, there was no unrest (though He rested to leave an example for us who would need such beautiful moments of repose) or misunderstanding or death. But I don't think He enjoyed it because of the absence of all those sad thing. He saw something that had been affected only by Him. That is what is good: being affected by God for God. Everything worked beautifully (I truly cannot comprehend how incredible all the un-fallen functions of creatures might have been) because it knew only one voice to listen to--the voice of God--and every word was encouraging, "flourish...reproduce...care for...!" The earth knew only one song, and that song was praise. And He has called again, "Behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things will not be remembered or come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem for rejoicing and her people for gladness" (Is. 65). Isn't it incredible? God is still speaking good for a world that has long abandoned the flawless design. His goodness is beyond compare! That He would think of our gladness and how to create it again in a destitute people. "How deep the Father's love for us / How vast beyond all measure / That He would give His only Son / To make a wretch His treasure / ...Why should I gain from His reward / I cannot give an answer..." Oh let us together be affected only by the voice of God that speaks good to us in the everlasting intention of the blood of Christ--to bring sons and daughters into unspeakable joy of sharing the eternal goodness of the Triune God. God has never ceased to speak goodness to this small planet placed among larger stars. I am awed by the fact that God plans on expressing His good love to us always. He will teach us the first songs again that only Eden heard as He walked, whistling along the garden paths. Oh He is so good to us!

1 comment:

cindy said...

Praise God for the cloud of witnesses that He has set before us. -MOM