Monday, May 4, 2009

of what angel's sing

On Sunday afternoon Rocky stopped by to drop-off the shopping list for Monday morning. I had just returned from my afternoon run. We shared the kitchen and talked about things that are the theme of angel songs. He told me the story of a girl that has spent the last two months slowly working off her endless hours of community service washing dishes in the afternoons at the coffee shop. On Friday this girl had been severely slacking in her responsibilities so Erica pulled her into the office and gently asked her how they could work together on proficiency. In a moment the girl was out of the office yelling. Erica pursued. For the next two hours Erica washed dishes and told this girl about Jesus. As Rocky told me about this he expressed his own encouragement from the story, "Daniel, this is the stuff angel's sing about!" The next day, today, the girl came in and quit. Erica cried. Erica and I talked together and she told me, "I am just so discouraged. I keep wondering if I did something wrong. Maybe I got too excited that God was going to change her heart." This was my encouragement. I thought of Hebrews 11, "men and women of whom the world is not worthy." Pray for Erica. It is an honor to work with her. On Sunday I preached in Hosea 6, "What will I do with you, O Ephraim? What will I do with you, O Judah? Your love is like the morning mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." Erica's love has not vanished. Within moments a new group of kids had found there way through the swinging doors of the coffee shop and she was back in the fray, praying and counseling, and, yes, crying.

No comments: