Tuesday, October 13, 2009

a cure

After dropping my car off at Firestone for four new tires and an alignment Titus and my mother met me half way back to their house on Bledsoe Ave. Titus had a grumpy day. There are a few things that cure a grumpy day for a 1 1/2 year old boy. One is the Bosch bread mixer. He is fascinated by machines of all sizes from garbage trucks to bread mixers. He points and directs his carrier--being me--to the bread machine and hold on tightly, terrified to hear the roar that follows a slight flip of the on-off switch. Another thing that cures a grumpy day is being tossed around. He enjoys his uncles becoming a small-scale fair ride that twirls every which way, always landing him with his feet flat on the moving ground. Another cure for grumpiness is talking on the phone. Tonight Titus held the house phone and I called it on using my cell phone. Only he understood our conversation as we followed each other around the island counter at my parents house. Us poor adults with worries and cares can learn from these cures for grumpiness. Adult depression is often a form of childhood grumpiness with an added dose of personal responsibility, leading to despair. I believe God made things to excite us just like Titus is filled with terrific excitement at the whirl of the bread mixer. I am certain that we were meant to be tossed around by loving hands. To feel a playful nudge or be be jostled by a loving hug. And to talk. God made us hungry for communication. To hear and be heard. Remember that "God's ear is not too dull to hear...but your iniquities have separated you from your God" (Isaiah 59:2). God is your Father--a far better relationship than an uncle--and wants to add all these three elements to his and your relationship.

The whole day was not spent with Titus. Actually a very short time of the day was spent playing with my nephew with a blond mullet. After dinner I visited a friend at the Kitsap Mental Health Adult Inpatient Unit. I cannot tell the details of why he is in inpatient, but ask that you pray for him. I had an opportunity to pray with both him, his girlfriend (also visiting), and his roommate. His roommate was in KMH inpatient because he believed Jesus was angry with him and so he decided to jump off of the Manette bridge. Despite the fact that the Manette bridge is 80+ feet and that he could not swim God preserved his life and I was able to share with him the true Jesus. All of them will be coming in within the next week. Pray for God's healing and restoration of minds and souls.

1 comment:

Kelly Frederick said...

thanks Daniel. good, good words.