Thursday, October 29, 2009

go away

There is a sad reality with age: minutes shrink. I feel like I have less of them. Sometimes it takes a trip or a drive--a purposeful stretching of a moment--to elongate them again to pleasantly abide rather than hang-on and survive. There was no "in-betweens" today. You know what I mean, no between this and that to do little things. And it is not a problem of busyness. It is the problem of "The Busy." Perhaps you are lumped in that hurried group. Again and again I read in books how Martin Luther would not go a day without praying two to three hours. Proportionately the average christian spends more time telling people that they need to pray, rather than actually spending time in purposeful and violent intercessory prayer (a guess, not a statistic). "God use me." Here is my prayer. I don't want to use myself. I will exhaust me. God wants to refresh me. Jesus asked his disciples, "Come away with me for awhile." Only He knows how to fix and refresh our inner part. "As some of the poets have said, 'In Him we live and move and have our being'" (Acts 17).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Daniel- I have been thinking this same thought recently. I often (and by often, I really mean just about all the time) spend more time talking about my relationship with God than actually "doing" it. It seems so backward when I imagine if my relationship with another human being was like that. I wouldn't talk about someone all the time if I rarely interacted with them on a deep level, but yet with the Lord, I'm so prone to do that.
I agree with you and hunger for that real first-hand interaction with Him rather than subsisting on fumes- mere second-hand conversations about him.