Wednesday, February 10, 2010

hope arrayed in hymnody

Rock of Ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood, From Thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure, Cleanse me from its guilt and power.
Not the labours of my hands, Can fulfill Thy law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know, Could my tears for ever flow,
All for sin could not atone: Thou must save,
and Thou alone.
Nothing in my hand I bring, Simply to Thy Cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress; Helpless, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly; Wash me, Saviour, or I die. - Augustus M. Toplady, 1740-1778

grace--timeless in nature, being in the very heart of God--was given to us right on time today in the form of a much needed grant from Boeing.  Last month we had a month that "you cannot have too many of if you want to stay in business," as our fearly executive director said.  As we expand the need only grows: people, funds, faith.  "Rock of ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee."

I am in the process of planning a public forum with Campus Crusade for Christ and the Olympic College Atheist and Agnostic Club.  If all goes as planned I will be sitting on a panel with one of the members of the Atheist and Agnostic Club answer three questions: 1) how did life begin? 2) what is the meaning of life? and 3) what is the fate of humanity?  Please pray for strength, wisdom, and humility as we cohost the event with these school clubs and speak into a world that yells at God with plugged ears, upward shaking fist, and downcast eyes.

1 comment:

mynameis_dylan said...

i also wish that i could see this debate. this would be something that would be very awesome to watch. you should record it!