Tuesday, February 23, 2010

the story of severe mercy

Hello! The days have been full. I hope to share more soon. For now I will tell a quick story of severe mercy (not unlike the book, which fills me with one of the strongest experiences of sentiment that I have ever felt).

Am I sustained? Yes.

I would like to curb a few rumours concerning pastors and Christian leaders. People gasp when they hear about sins that remain in the lives of Christians and their mortal leaders. Our cholesterol-thick blood boils when we hear the unchecked, unbridled, and often unkind remarks of Pat Robertson, James Dobson, Mark Driscoll or whomever wears the jersey of another churches softball team.

Tonight I reflected on this driving home.

There are a foolish amount of people that do not think that I, Daniel Frederick, have bad thoughts or sinful urges or any number of shameful things of which the Bible bears black ink warning me against.

I do not say this lightly or in mock defiance. I am ashamed.

I will also admit--to my shame--that I am not always ashamed by this even though I should be.

When I was younger sometimes I had to sit in my room for several hours before I realized that it was bad to talk back to my parents. By mercy my salvation is not based up the durability of my desire and God did not wait for me to eventually "come to my senses." Isaiah 59 and Romans 3 tell us about God understanding what we never would admit, that without him we could never be right.

I thank God that the Bible does not tell me that God loves me only when I desire him with virginal purity and wild affection.

Jesus came for me--sick, hopeful, sinful, desiring, needy, wandering, wondering, full of questions, passionate me (Galatians 2:20).

He redeemed this broken child who longs for home.

Salvation happens and the story continues though. The theme of the continuing story is called sanctification. (Regretfully we are not swept off in flaming chatiots at the moment of salvation!) Many of us spend many years asking "how long, O Lord, must I wait of perfection/completion?" Kind David asked that too. However, I would not recommend wandering too long in the playfield of those unanswered questions. It is much like playing duck-duck-goose in a minefield.

The skeptic and agnostic of the age runs straight in like a maniac with no thought of coming out alive.

The Bible promises to be a sure guide to those that use it to light their way.

The Bible will lead us ONLY to Christ.

While this may be the expected answer, the "I've-heard-that-before," why then are so many stunned to find a cross? Why are we so surprised that so many things must die in our lives? It is as though we have expected salvation to open a door which reveals a shortcut to paradise.

On the contrary!

"I have been crucified with Christ..." and "whatever was to my benefit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ...!"

So why or how can a Christian and still experience imperfection, frustration, and/or depression?

First reflect that you and I are still growing up as a children of God! Even the spiritual fathers of this generation, who lead the church, will always and only be sheep of Christ, children of the Father and clay vessels molded by the Spirit. While they are called to be men above reproach, pray for them! They have not been yet made perfect, but, like you, press on to take hold of the prize that awaits all those who long for Christ (Philippians 3). I believe part of that longing comes not only from tiredness of separation, but also tiredness of frailty of the flesh.

Secondly, reflect on the longing that will only be fully satisfied in heaven when you are perfected. I believe this will deepen our worshipful reflection both on the character of God and the way he has made the world. God has left so many things to wet our appetite for heaven's fullness; many thing, I should say, that can be redeemed here on earth. Marriage love, mountains grandeur, children's laughter, and the greenness of green grass all are made for us marvel--echoing glory to Glory--and worship Him who gave them as appetizers for the wedding feast of Christ and his church.

Thirdly, remember while you are here that when we meet Christ at the cross we are not asked to only look at the world through the lens of these springtime events. Jesus asked his disciples what they expected the world to do to them since it treated him so poorly. The death of each of these things that embody life for us--marriage love, mountain grandeur, children's laughter, and the greenness of green grass--can also cause the greatest questioning in the world of our minds and hearts. Who could categorize and file away love grown cold, the falling of a mountain, the death of a child, or draught in a fertile country? God himself does not ask you to discard these fearful and trembling matters so lightly. It is only a faith coming by way of the cross that understands that this very impermanent world, that still claims so much of our joy and sorrow, did not recognize, but rather rejected and crucified, its own God. Being rejected, He tasted death for all (Hebrews 2:9), and became their Savior. "He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed" (Isaiah 53). Oh we have received a tender, severe mercy!

"Here I stand. I can do no other. So help me God." - Luther

No comments: