Wednesday, April 6, 2011

CCDA Philosophy | Christian Community Development Association

I am currently in Chicago--the famed "windy city"--sitting in their towering downtown library (yes, I found it) on a short break from the hectic schedule of the CCDA (Christian Community Development Association) Immersion Conference. It is an awakening to the humbling fact that God is using more than the Coffee Oasis in the world and that I/we have much to learn. Dare I say, we are beginner. But I think we are blessed too. Viewing ministries within Chicago and speaking with organizations from across the nation and world I am growing to appreciate the depth of true relationship (I think what Francis Schaffer would call "True Spirituality") that I find in the Oasis community in Bremerton. I miss their presence and support while I am here (though they have assured me they are supporting me in prayer).

Here is a Chinese proverb that has been continuously repeated here at the conference and below that is a link to the CCDA philosophy:

Go to the people
Live among them
Learn from them
Love them
Start with what they know
Build on what they have:
But of the best leaders When their task is done
The people will remark "We have done it ourselves."

CCDA Philosophy | Christian Community Development Association

2 comments:

Ann Power said...

This Chinese proverb troubles me in that there is no mention of the Lord being the giver of any strength or power or goodness or progress that we are able only in His grace & mercy activate or achieve. The Almighty is the one through whom we are able to lead others to say, "Because of God's mercy, strength and love, we have been able to become the persons He created us to be."

Daniel Frederick said...

Being an old Chinese proverb it was not written with Jesus in mind. This does not mean that we cannot learn from it. You know that I am in full agreement that "unless the Lord builds a house the laborer builds in vain" (Psalm 127:1). We must still have the humility to learn from the practical wisdom of others. CCDA is not presenting this as the gospel, but as a helpful and wise tool--which I think it is.