Friday, April 1, 2011

the dynamics of temptation and surrender

"The flesh resists this daily humiliation, first by a frontal attack, and later by hiding itself under the words of the Spirit (i.e., in the name of 'evangelical liberty'). We claim liberty from all legal compulsion, from self-martyrdom and mortification and play this off against the proper evangelical use of discipline and asceticism; we thus excuse our self-indulgence and irregularity in prayer, in meditation and in our bodily life. But the contrast between our behavior and the word of Jesus is all too painfully evident. We forget that discipleship means estrangement from the world, and we forget the real joy and freedom which are the outcome of a devout rule of life." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

1 comment:

Ann Power said...

Daniel- I just reread this quote on your blog just now. Wow, I believe he's talking about the condition of many who are on the "church lite" diet. It's grace without obedience. I used to be a part of that contingent and I praise God for taking the blinders off of me. I pray that I will remain awake so I can hear His voice and obey. Thanks for this quote Daniel, Ann