Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Francis Schaeffer: Letters

"I read your letter with care and would certainly want to do everything I can to help" - Francis Schaeffer, from Letters of Francis Schaeffer.

How good it is to find a kindred soul! I miss sitting down with friends and talking around sturdy wood tables. There is something extraordinary about hearing from a friend because they were thinking about you. How refreshing it is to hear someone who really knows you say, "hello!"--to be cherished. Something got me meditating tonight on the word "cherish." The Greek word THALPO, which is translated "cherish," primarily means to heat, to soften by heat; then, to keep warm, as of birds covering their young with their feathers; metaphorically, to cherish with tender love, to foster tender care (Vine).

1 comment:

mike said...

I've got a sturdy wood table. Let's do this. Hope to see you soon.