Tuesday, March 10, 2009

grab somebody!

I do not have much time to write tonight, but wanted to keep somewhat consistent in posting. I want to only post what is real and true, so please do not feel like this is a cheap post. My heart is with you that read. I often receive the most lovely emails from people telling me that they are praying for me. If you have never received one I suggest that you start sending them because they are contagious, like a good french kiss (ha! I can only assume). I have heard it said, "God would have come and died if it was only for me." Such poppycock, I have never heard such a selfish thing. God delights in the praises of His people, not merely person. Yes, He died for you...and the world. Strain your ear to hear the beating of the drums, the rising notes, the lifting song, the strength of innumerable voice, a cloud of witnesses gathered around the throne, "worthy is the Lamb!" Do not forget that you are accompanied. I sat on a stool across from a boy at the coffee shop today. I taught him a few chords on the guitar and we sang the song "How He Loves." It is a great way to evangelize: "here's a few chords, now let's sing about Jesus." This boy has been in my prayers for months (he is actually the same boy I wrote about in the last quarterly newsletter for Hope In Christ Ministries). He struggles and feels ashamed by them, and I am glad to reassure him that the love of God and my love doesn't change because of that. I am not saying it is always easy. Sometimes I find it very hard to love, but God has made my heart really tender towards this boy. I told him about the family of God. I got excited as I talked. I would love to see the arms of the church be opened in embrace. I am convinced they will be when we see that the love of Christ speaks a better word than all the empty claims of the earth. So embrace others. I don't know about you, but I love to be embrace (ha! I am sounding all sentimental). Not those namby-pamby embraces were the butt is sticks out and the shoulders connect for a brief grab and release. No! I like being unashamedly grabbed. God grabbed us, grab somebody. Send someone an email, and let them know you care. Let there be no thought in there mind when they are done reading it as to whether or not you really care about them. Express yourself, because God expressed Himself towards you. We so easily forget that people enjoy being cared for just like we enjoy being cared for.

On a more personal note: please pray that God gives me success in all that I do. It seems like every minutes is followed by another very full one and I want my days to be fragrant. I am certain that God never makes us too busy to miss out on achieving a "well done, good and faithful servant!" In particular I will be preaching more at Church (which I really enjoy) and also be spending more face-to-face time with kids, building enduring mentoring relationships (which I don't always feel especially skilled at).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know I don't know you, but I found a link to this post through a friend. The title grabbed me and so did the post-thanks for this. I had to send a prayer up too when I read your request.

Unknown said...

So true! I don't know why I can get so self-conscious of showing affection for friends. It really does do wonders for your day when you can tell someone is excited to see you and grabs you in a non-namby-pamby way.