Saturday, November 22, 2008

Jesus--fully immersed

After a late night at the coffee shop I woke with the robins share the morning worms with my uncle (ha! some analogies work better than others). Every once in awhile my uncle and I will sit down and talk. I am grateful for his insight. Even on the drive home I thanked God for the particular insight that God gave him into my own life. We, you and I, spend much of our lives not knowing what exactly God is making us into. I think it keeps us humble. "Here am I, God. Just me. All I have is me to give. Send me, use me, I'll go" (Isaiah 6). I consider each decided step Jesus took into the Jordan river to be baptized by John. Jesus knew that this humbling moment would relate Him with the manhood, and the full sin--your sin and mine and everyone elses--that comes with that, forever. With each step He became wetter. Has any lamb walked so willfully through the blood toward the altar? With each step he felt the lapping water rise up against his human form. He knew what this meant. "Look the lamb of God (they pointed and starred) who has come to take the sin of the world." Then, supported by the rough touch of human hands, He bowed down into the water. He was now completely wet. The river wind made Him cold. "Not my will, but Yours be done."

"This is my Son," the Father beamed, "With Him I am well pleased."

It is well, it is well with my soul.

No comments: