Monday, October 20, 2008

a joy to speak...

At the last minute a buddy asked me to fill in for him in teaching a small group of college students that meet every Monday night in a home. The group was fairly familiar with each other, but not very familiar with me. A few years ago my nerves stopped flaring as bad for teaching when I realized, or the Holy Spirit let me in on the obvious secret, that it was God who people should be thinking about when the time is over, not me. For starters, our time began late. And for those who know me it might be surprising to find out that it was not because of me. I actually showed up 10 minutes early. The subject given to me to teach on was Galatians 4:8-20, "Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves...." Being able to talk on this subject was a release for the personal lessons of that past several weeks. My persuading almost turned into begging as I asked people what the difference was between before they were saved and afterward. To be honest, I am both sad and scared for people who see no difference. It is not that we were good and Jesus made us better. Jesus did not merely tag-on an afterlife, like a good rewards package for choosing the right airline through life. We were lost and now we are found, blind and now seeing, dead and now alive. No longer are we cargo on the slaveship of sin. Mastered by one who want to dehumanize you. Shielded from the freeing truth that there is a Savior that loves us and endows worth on our lives. Even more, we are allowed to walk into His presence, wherein is the fullness of joy (Psalm 16).

For some more honesty, I am not sure how much everyone else benefited from the time. Ha! I always want revival. There were some girls on a couch that seemed to have grins that widened as the night went on. Some guys struggling with clinical depression interacted on varying levels. One guy loudly declared afterward that he shouldn't sit on the comfortable couch next week (i.e. "I almost fell asleep."). Despite the inconsistent response I love talking about the truth. I love to feel it, much like the classic children's song: "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart." Please pray for more to hear and understand. I think it would make my joy complete.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prayer, you go it! Prayer is so powerful. I thank GOD for your words of wisdom, Daniel, and your ability to reach people where they are! I'll say a "special" prayer and oddly enough am singing the very song that you concluded with.

...down in my heart, where, down in my heart....I've got the love of Jesus down in my heart....down in my heart today!